Get Flash Player

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is the investigation confidential?

During the course of the investigation, all information regarding the investigation is confidential. Once the investigation is completed and closed, it becomes public record in accordance with Florida Statute Title X, Chapter 119 Public Records.

Q: Do I have to participate in an investigative process?

No. You have the right to decline participation in the investigative process.

Q: If I am unable to come into the office, can the interview be conducted at an alternate location?

Arrangements may be made to meet at a district location agreed upon by both parties.

Q: How long does an investigation take?

The investigative process takes an average of 30 work days, absent any unusual circumstances. At the conclusion of the investigation, a recommendation of Probable Cause or No Probable Cause will be made. If a determination of Probable Cause is found, the case is submitted to the Office of Professional Standards (OPS) for final administrative disposition.

Q: Will I get in trouble for filing a complaint?

The initiation of a discrimination or harassment complaint by an employee will not be used as a basis for actions that adversely affect the complainant’s standing in his/her work location. However, any complainant who knowingly submits false information will be subject to disciplinary action.

Q: Who can file a complaint with CRC?

A School Board employee, student/parent, and applicants who have a reasonable and good-faith belief that he/she has been the subject of discrimination/harassment because of his/her gender, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, political beliefs, marital status, age, sexual orientation, social and family background, linguistic preference, pregnancy, or disability can submit a complaint to CRC.

Q: My Supervisor is rude, mean spirited and disrespectful.  Can I file a complaint with CRC?

Unfortunately, Title VII does not prohibit all verbal or physical harassment in the workplace, but rather only discrimination/harassment based on a protected category.  To address these concerns, speak with an administrator following the chain of command and/or seek assistance from your union or association..

Q: I filed an internal complaint based on age discrimination with CRC and then was denied a promotion to a position for which I was qualified.  Can I file another complaint with CRC?

Yes.  If you have filed a complaint of any kind (age, race, color, ethnic/national origin, religion, gender, disability...) it is a violation of state and federal statutes to be targeted or treated differently than similarly situated employees.  Being treated differently could be construed as retaliation because you filed an earlier complaint.

M-DCPS : 1450 NE 2nd Ave. : Miami, FL 33132 : Phone: (305) 995-1000 (For Non Technical Questions Only) © 2017